PoleStar
PoleStar says:
This post stems from a few posts I have seen where sellers are astounded at others being featured in thousands of treasuries. I was going to post IN a recent thread but I thought the advice deserved it's own post.

Everyone here should NOT feel like small potatoes for only being in a few treasuries. We all start somewhere! There are unlimited treasuries now so the potential for how many treasuries you can end up in is infinity!

If you want to be in more treasuries some things that help are,

1. of course, great pictures. Set a mood with your photo, if you had a store front, how would you stage the front window? That is what you want to reflect in your shop pictures, of course with out being cluttered.

Someone who posted in the other thread is AmyArtz, her avatar is gorgeous, it makes me want to click, to find out, what is this cool looking cube textured pendant.

2. Of course a well made product and some cohesion in your shop. After a while people will know your shop for a great photographed version of a product.

I sell wire wrapped jewelry. As do A WHOLE LOT of other jewelry sellers on Etsy. I love what I make of course, am obsessed with making it and I do like to run it as a business for profit as well. That is why I am here on etsy selling it instead of piling it on my bed and rolling around in it a la The Proposal or whatever that movie was. My category is swamped. But guess what? I don't let that get me down, I just try to do the best that I can do in my shop.

I take unique photos and people know my shop look and come to my shop for items to put in their treasuries. I know this, b/c they tell me so :D.

I also have a large variety of colors in my shop. From neutrals to bright yellows, etc.

I make what I love. I love owls, Etsy loves owls. I made an owl necklace b/c I LOVE owls. I love foxes, but I am not feeling a fox necklace, just not wanting to go there.

And for SURE I will never EVER make a mustache necklace. If I do, slap me like the passengers do the freak out lady in Airplane b/c I will have done lost my marbles.

If you feel like you want to express a trend, do it! If not, don't! It is important that you do what you love and follow your instincts.

3. Network. Especially network with other people who love to make treasuries. At the heart of the treasury is people loving to curate lists. Be it through your favorites, a challenge through a team, etc. It is a challenging yet fun experience. It can fulfill your need for window shopping and artistic expression as well!

Network by joining a team, START a team! Twitter, Facebook. I have made so many FRIENDS through teams, such good friends, I could go stay with them overnight and sleep at their houses w/o worrying they would be a psycho killer even though I know them only through the internet.

4. Make treasuries and let everyone know you are in them! Pimp them out. That involves convoing people who you featured, tweeting your treasury lists and facebooking them.

Even if you only do one a week it will help.

5. Pay it back and forward. If you are featured in a newbie treasury, make one with newbies; if you are featured by another bow maker who loves your bows, make a treasury with that bow maker.

6. Use the Etsy Merchandising terms.

http://www.etsy.com/storque/search/title/merchandising/

Personally, I go through the articles and pick out "key words" and email them to myself and when I make a treasury, I skim the list and include the relevant tags in my treasury.

I am by NO means curating a ton of front pages even though I would like to. But those help me nonetheless.

I love being on the front page, but you know what feels even better? CURATING a front page. That is such a rush, awesome feeling.

7. When you feel inspired, make a treasury about it! If you think, "oh this was such a great sunny day" make a sunny day inspired treasury.

If you see a show on discovery about alligators, make a gator treasury!

If you feel strongly that unibrows should usurp the mustache in status not just b/c they are higher on the face, then make a unibrow treasury. I have made a few. }:)

You get the point.

8. Renew your items. Even if you only renew one item a day that is photographed and tagged well, you will end up in more treasuries.

9. Look how people tag the treasuries that end up on the front page. If it applies, use those tags in your treasuries and products.

If it applies to your product, then tag it! One of the terms for September was "earth tones" if you have earth tone items, then TAG that.

DON'T tag your hot pink item "earth tones!" lol. But you know what else is hot on Etsy during spring and summer though? NEON< style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">
10. When someone notifies you they featured you in a treasury, ALWAYS go comment on it. They took the time to make it, and it is an honor to have your item included, whether you are in one treasury or in thousands.

I hope these tips help, I may copy past this list and add to it as I think of other tips.

I am one of those people who are in THOUSANDS of treasuries. I do not know any admin personally, but I have been selling on Etsy for 2 years and networking and making friends for the same time while listing hundreds of items and keeping in mind merchandising themes in my tags. I do all of the above and I know that if you do all of the above too you WILL be in thousands of treasuries faster than you think.

Jen
0 Responses

.

Bookmark and Share



Advertise your Arts & Crafts on this site & others for FREE!!